Welcome to Rocktober. Do you know what happened in the mountains this week? Here’s a selection of news, articles, posts, videos, photos, and other intriguing things that we think you’d like to know about. Enjoy!
- Nepal Plans To Ban Young, Old, Disabled, and Novice Climbers From Mount Everest – A Mountain Journey – Nepal is currently planning to change the rules and regulations for permits to climb Mount Everest in an attempt to make the mountain safer.
- Man Gored By Elk In Colorado – Outside Online – While filming a group of elk in Estes Park, a bull gored a man with its antlers from behind. He may be charged with “harassment of the animal.” This seems to be a recurring theme this summer…
- Johnny Strange Dies In Wingsuit Accident In Switzerland – SnowBrains.com – Californian Johnny Strange was the youngest person to climb the Seven Summits at age 17. He died in a wingsuit BASE jump accident on October 1. RIP.
- Erik Roner Killed In Skydiving Accident In California – A Mountain Journey – Action sports super star Erik Roner was killed in a parachuting accident during landing at a Celebrity Golf Tournament. RIP.
- Watch: Goats Outrun Avalanche – Outside Online – Here’s a great video from France of mountain goats bolting away from an oncoming avalanche. Nature is cool!
- Freeskiing World Mourns Loss Of Skier – US Freeskiing – Up and coming freeskier Sam Jackenthal, 16, passed away due to injuries sustained in a training accident in Australia. RIP.
- Authorities Find Body Of Skier Missing For 35 Years – FirstTracksOnline.com – Canadian Gregory Barnes’ body as found in a crevasse in the Italian Alps after he went missing 35 years ago while ski touring. His passport was found in his pocket. RIP.
- Snow Sensors At Turnagain Pass Will Help Predict Avalanche Conditions – Anchorage Daily News – Turnagain Pass, a popular backcountry skiing destination in Alaska, will receive experimental sensors that may help to predict avalanches.
- Tahoe Officials To Remove Public Access To Jake’s Backcountry Skiing Zones – SnowBrains.com – It sounds like officials may be taking away access to this coveted backcountry zone. You can help.
- Japanese Who Lost Nine Fingers Abandons Everest Climb – BBC – Nobukazu Kuriki abandoned his attempt to climb Mount Everest this week.
Have an awesome week!