Do you know what happened in the mountains this week? Here’s a selection of news, articles, posts, videos, photos, and other intriguing things that we think you’d like to know about. Enjoy!
- US Retail Snow Sports Market Tops $4.5 Billion – FirstTracksOnline.com – New numbers from the SnowSports Industries America (SIA) show that the snow sports industry topped $4.5 billion in 2014-15.
- Sherpas Complete 3 Himalayan First Ascents – OutsideOnline.com – There are still unclimbed 20,000′ peaks in the Rolwaling Valley of the Himalayas and a team of Sherpas just bagged three first ascents.
- Forest Service Says Burnt Mtn Ski Cabin Is Off Limits – AspenTimes.com – The USFS is demolishing a popular backcountry ski cabin near Snowmass Ski area after 30 years.
- Congress Moves To Open Up Paddling In National Parks – Backpacker.com – A new bill could allow paddlers access to over 450 miles of rivers in Grand Teton and Yellowstone.
- New Ski Resort Opening This Winter In Utah – UnofficialNetworks.com – Ski Cherry Peak will open for business this year. Are you going to make some turns there?
- Yes, You Really Can Buy A Ski Area For $149,000 – Ski.Curbed.Com – Soldier Mountain Ski Area in Idaho is up for sale. And the price is way less than a small condo in other ski resort towns…
- For Sale: Crested Butte CO, Northstar CA, Brighton UT, Sunday River ME, & More Ski Resorts – SnowBrains.com – CNL Lifetime Properties, the owner of 16 ski resorts, is selling them off.
- SCARPA Freedom Series Freeride Ski Boots Win Eight Ski Media Awards For Fall 2015 – Outdoor Industry Association – Need a boot? Check out SCARPA’s Freedom Series.
- Walk On The Wild Side: Bear Meanders Halls Of Bozeman High – BozemanDailyChronicle.com – A black bear got loose in the halls of Bozeman High this week. Watch the video.
- 2 Men Attempt To Bike Amazon River – OutsideOnline.com – Biking the Amazon? Cool and crazy!
- Bode Miller Going On World Cup Hiatus – ESPN – Ski racer Bode Miller will not compete in the 2015-2016 World Cup.
- Loveland Ski Area Starts Blowing Snow! – UnofficialNetworks.com – Snowmaking is beginning in Colorado’s high country. Winter is coming.
- Yellowstone National Park Sets Record Year With 3.8 Million Visitors So Far – BusinessInsider.com – The year isn’t over and Yellowstone has already broken the record for number of visitors.
- Killington Resort To Begin Winter Season, Sunday, Oct. 18, 2015 – MountainTimes.Info – Killington will be the first ski resort to open for the ski season in North America this year.
- Rangers Rescue Hiker After Fall – NPS.Gov – Park Rangers rescued a hiker after a fall in GTNP’s Avalanche Canyon.
- New Guide To Avoiding Future Avalanche Tragedies – Chamonet.com – Avalanches are a hazard to many buildings in the Alps. A new guide will help town planners determine where and how structures can be built in the mountains.
Have an great week!