Do you know what happened in the mountains this week? Here’s a selection of backcountry news, articles, posts, videos, photos, and other cool things that we think you’d like to know about. Enjoy!
- Two Guides Killed In Two Separate Avalanches In Lech am Arlberg, Austria (UPDATED) – A Mountain Journey – A mountain guide and a ski guide died in two separate avalanches while skiing with their clients in Austria.
- Three Dead In Three Separate Avalanche Accidents In Buryatia, Russia – A Mountain Journey – It was a tough week in the mountains of Buryatia Russia as three people died in avalanches.
- Avalanche Kills Ski Tourer On Breitenberg Mountain In German Alps – A Mountain Journey – A 63-year-old ski tourer died in Bavaria this week in an avalanche. It was the first avalanche fatality in this region in nearly two years.
- Avalanche Kills Backcountry Skier In Swiss Alps Near Muotathal, Switzerland – A Mountain Journey – An avalanche killed a ski tourer in the Schwyz Alps in Switzerland.
- German Skier Killed In Avalanche While Heli Skiing On Russia’s Kamchatka Peninsula – A Mountain Journey – A German skier died in an avalanche while heli skiing on volcano Vilyuchinsky in Kamchatka, Russia.
- NOAA’s 3-Day Forecast for Western USA Showing Big Snowfall Totals – SnowBrains – It’s about to get snowy again! Who’s excited?
- Breaking: Human Remains Found In Yellowstone Near Highway 191 – Teton Gravity Research – Human remains were found by a snowshoer south of Big Sky in YNP.
- Simulating Avalanches To Enhance The Safety Of Chilean Copper Miners – SLF.ch – Mining in the high Andes of Chile is dangerous stuff. Safety first.
- Avalanche Canada Warns March is The Deadliest Time Of Year – GlobalNews.ca – It’s March. Avalanche Canada warns that this is the deadliest month for avalanches.
- Missing Sugar Bowl Ski Instructor Found Buried In 5 Feet Of Snow – A Mountain Journey – After going missing on January 15th, the body of Carson May was found on Mount Judah near Sugar Bowl in California.
- Dog Dies In Alaskan Avalanche – SnowBrains – A D2.5, R3 avalanche near Harp Mountain in Alaska killed a dog and dragged a skier about 1000 feet. The skier was uninjured.
- After Avalanche, Highway 2 Near Stevens Pass Reopens – SeattleTimes.com – A natural avalanche blocked Highway 2 in Washington on Thursday.
- Alpes-Maritimes : La Route d’accès à La Station Isola 2000 Coupée Por Une Avalanche – Lemonde.fr – The access road to Isola 2000 resort was hit by an avalanche closing the road for an extended period of time on Monday.
- Video: Snowmobiler Triggers Avalanche In Cooke City, MT – MSN.com – Impressive footage of a snowmobiler triggering an avalanche in Cooke City.
- Roof Avalanche Catches Snow Removers In Lenske, Russia – A Mountain Journey – Watch this roof avalanche video. Scary stuff. These guys were lucky.
- Backcountry Series: The History Of The Avalanche Beacon – VailDaily.com – The avalanche beacon is standard gear for any backcountry traveler, but do you know its history?
- International Team Makes First Winter Ascent Of Nanga Parbat – Climbing.com – While we’re skiing, this international crew is tackling Himalayan alpine challenges. Nice!
- Swiss Develop Radar Avalanche Detection System – SnowBrains – The Swiss are testing avalanche detection systems that use radar. It will be cool to see where this technology goes.
What backcountry news did we miss? Tell us in the comments below. Have an awesome week!