Do you know what happened in the mountains this week? Here’s a selection of backcountry news, articles, posts, videos, photos, and other cool things that we think you’d like to know about. Enjoy!
- Two Skiers Survive Multiple Days Trapped On Alaska’s Harding Icefield – A Mountain Journey – After what was supposed to be a day ski trip in the Kenai Mountains, Jennifer Neyman and Christopher Hanna were finally rescued after four days of being stuck in storm.
- SNOTEL Data: The Current Western US Snowpack – April 15, 2016 – A Mountain Journey – The snowpack is still looking strong across the western US. Who’s going ski mountaineering?
- Black Diamond Recalls Index Ascenders, Camalots and Camlot Ultralights, Easy Riders and Iron Cruiser Via Ferrata Lanyard Sets – A Mountain Journey – This is important. Tell your friends.
- Avalanche Kills Snowmobiler In Hoodoo Mountains Of Alaska – A Mountain Journey – Another avalanche fatality near the Arctic Man race location in Alaska occurred this week.
- Mount Rainier National Park Is Hiring Climbing Rangers – USAJobs.gov – Need a job? This one would be a cool one to land.
- Ski Mountaineers Ski Austrian Route On North Face of Les Courtes on Mont Blanc | Watch The Video
– A Mountain Journey – The North Face of Les Courtes on the Mont Blanc massif above the Argentiere basin in the French Alps got skied this week. Nice work!
- X-Games Gold Medalist Man Successfully Rescued From Haines, AK Avalanche on Thursday – SnowBrains.com – Bode Merrill was buried in an avalanche while heli-skiing in Alaska this week. Luckily, he survived.
- How To Climb Chimborazo, The Mountain That Dethroned Everest – Men’s Journal – Is Everest the highest mountain in the world? Not necessarily.
- How Hiking Changes Our Brains—And Makes Us Better Travelers – CNTraveler.com – Who’s ready to go hiking?
- So You Want To Be A Mountain Guide – OutdoorResearch.com – Here’s an excellent interview with OR ambassador and IFMGA/AMGA Mountain Guide Mark Allen. A good read for everyone interested in the guiding industry.
- Avy Report: Avalanche Centers Wind Down For The Summer Season – Backcountry Magazine – It’s springtime and avalanche centers are ending their seasonal avalanche forecasts. Thanks to all of the avalanche forecasters for the hard work. See you next ski season.
- Feds Charge Jay Peak with ‘Ponzi-like’ Misappropriation of Funds – Powder.com – It sounds like Jay Peak Resort is in a lot of trouble.
- Fresh Look At Trope About Eskimo Words For Snow – ScienceDaily.com – What do you call ice and snow?
- La Nina In the Forecast After El Nino Begins To Fade – CBC.ca – Next year should be colder and snowier. Yippee!
- Get Outside With 16 Days Of Fee-Free Access To National Parks In 2016 – A Mountain Journey – It’s National Park Week which means fee-free access to National Park sites across the US.
- Beartooth Basin Summer Ski Resort, MT/WY Will Not Open for 2nd Summer in a Row – SnowBrains.com – Beartooth Basin, just south of Red Lodge, MT, will not open for the 2016 summer ski season. Bummer.
Did we miss any backcountry news? Tell us in the comments below. Have an awesome week!