Do you know what happened in the mountains this week? Here’s a selection of backcountry news, articles, posts, videos, photos, and other cool things that we think you’d like to know about. Enjoy!
- Avalanche Kills Solo Scrambler On Mount Lawson In Kananaskis Country, Alberta – A Mountain Journey – Sad news out of Canada this week.
- Melissa Arnot Breaks Two Records On Mount Everest – A Mountain Journey – Congrats to Melissa Arnot for being the first American woman to summit Everest without supplemental oxygen and for tagging her sixth summit!
- Marine Veteran With One Leg Summits Everest! – Unofficial Networks – Congrats to Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Charlie Linville. He is the first veteran amputee to climb Everest.
- Gear Notice: 22 Designs Outlaw Binding – TelemarkSkier.com – If you know anyone with Outlaw bindings, you better let them know about this issue ASAP.
- The Mountain God Awarded Best Climbing Movie – TheUIAA.org – Want to watch a quality climbing film? Check this one out!
- Mammut’s #Project360 Captures the Entire South Col Route on Everest – RockandIce.com – Now armchair adventurers from around the world can see what it’s really like to climb Everest.
- Cocaine-Fueled Frat Bros Trash Lake Shasta – Unofficial Networks – An unofficial frat party got out of hand and left a beach at Lake Shasta a disaster zone.
- The Extraordinary Cost Of Retrieving Dead Bodies From Mount Everest – The Washington Post – People continue to die on Everest. Here’s a look at the cost of bringing those bodies off the mountain.
- Patagonia’s Next Jacket Will Be Made of Spider Silk – OutsideOnline.com – It will be cool to check out this new piece of gear!
- A Look Inside The Country’s Raddest Gear Sheds – OutsideOnline.com – Where do you store your gear?
Did we miss any backcountry news? Tell us in the comments below. Have an awesome week!