Do you know what happened in the mountains this week? Here’s a selection of backcountry news, articles, posts, videos, photos, and other cool things that we think you’d like to know about. Enjoy!
- Watch Huge Avalanche On North Face Of Z1 In Zanskar Valley In Indian Himalaya – A Mountain Journey – Don’t miss this avalanche footage from the Himalaya. Wow.
- Vail Resorts Expands Epic Pass To Include European Ski Resorts In France, Italy, Switzerland, and Austria – A Mountain Journey – Vail Resorts just added 17 days of free skiing for Epic Pass holders in Europe.
- 6 Dead In 3 Incidents In 24 Hours On Monte Rosa In Alps – A Mountain Journey – It was a tragic 24 hours on Monte Rosa on the Swiss/Italian border.
- Indian Couple Banned From Climbing Everest For 10 Years (Faked Ascent, Photoshopped Proof) – UnofficialNetworks.com – After lying about climbing Everest, Dinesh and Tarakeshwari Rathod will be banned from the mountain for a decade.
- Canada Opening 22,000 km Car-Free Bike Path Across The Country In 2017 – MTLBlog.com – This is going to be incredible!
- Was Utah Hiker Kidnapped To Tutor North Korea Leader? – TetonGravity.com – David Sneddon was hiking in China’s Yunnan Province when he disappeared. Now stories say that was kidnapped to be Kim Jong-un’s personal tutor.
- NOAA Issues “Winter Weather Advisory” for Montana & Idaho This Weekend | Up to 5″ of Snow Forecast – SnowBrains – It could get snowy in Idaho and Montana over Labor Day weekend.
- Search Called Off For Missing Pair In Pakistan – RockandIce.com– Search and rescue has had no luck finding Kyle Dempster and Scott Adamson who went missing while climbing the North Face of the Ogre II, near the Choktoi Glacier in Northern Pakistan.
- Obama Creates Largest Protected Place On The Planet, In Hawaii – The Washington Post – While not exactly mountain related, this is pretty cool news. Obama quadrupled the size of the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument to 582,578 square miles of land and sea in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands.
- Watch: California Sees Its First Wolf Pack In Almost 100 Years – UnofficialNetworks.com – The Shasta Pack, a wolf pack consisting of 7 wolves (2 adults and 5 pups), was recently spotted inside California.
- 2017 Editors’ Choice Awards: 88-104MM – BackcountryMagazine.com – Who’s buying skis this winter? Check out the winners of the 104-115mm category too.
- Renewed Effort To Build Tramway At Grand Canyon Draws Concern – NationalParksTraveler.com – The Grand Canyon Escalade would be a tram from the Grand Canyon rim to the confluence of the Little Colorado and Colorado rivers. Thoughts?
- Hiker Dies In Fall At Glacier National Park – NationalParksTraveler.com – A hiker fell while descending Mount Jackson in Glacier National park on Thursday.
- Where To Mount Your Skis – Powder.com – It’s time to start thinking about winter!
Did we miss any backcountry news? Tell us in the comments below. Have an awesome week!