Do you know what happened in the mountains this week? Here’s a selection of backcountry news, articles, posts, videos, photos, and other cool things that we think you’d like to know about. Enjoy!
- The Big Picture: Is The Pull Of The Backcountry Pushing Our Limits? – A Mountain Journey – Watch the latest Whistler Documentary Video as they focus on the impact of backcountry access.
- Avalanche Destroys Chairlift in Chimbulak Kazakhstan – UnofficialNetworks – Here’s some grainy footage of avalanche destruction in Kazahkhstan.
- Love or Hate It, Uphill Skiing Will Be Big This Winter – Bloomberg.com – Uphill skiing is becoming more and more mainstream as it is expected to grow this winter.
- American Explorers Recognised By Guinness World Records For Completing The First Ever Ascent Of Meru Peak Shar’s Fin – GuinessWorldRecords.com – Congrats to Conrad Anker, Jimmy Chin, and Renan Ozturk for their climb of the Shark’s Fin on Meru Peak. If you haven’t already, watch the Meru film. Unreal.
- The 50 Most Adventurous Men – MensJournal.com – These guys are badasses. Find out who made the list.
- Avalanche Educators Grapple With Social Media’s Influence On Backcountry Traveler’s Decision Making – TheDenverPost.com – Does social media affect your backcountry travels? It’s certainly an issue that needs to be addressed.
- Japanese Mountaineer From Miyagi Missing On Nepal’s Mount Manaslu – The Japan Times – Hirotaka Onodera, 23, slipped and fell near the summit of Manaslu on October 7. He is currently missing.
- Polish Mountaineer Falls TO Death, Other Goes Missing – Business-Standard.com – Two Polish mountaineers who were stranded on Shivlinga in the Himalaya are now missing and dead.
- All Hikers In Bataan Mountain Now Safe – NewsInfo.Inquirer.net – 100 mountaineers had to be rescued from Mt. Tarak in Bataan after they became stuck in heavy rain.
- NOAA: Atmospheric River to Impact West Coast Tomorrow | Up to 22″ of Precipitation Forecast – SnowBrains – A monster storm is on track to clobber the west coast and mountain west.
- Ski Bloggers Talk About Their Favoriet Ski Blogs – IGoSki.co.uk – Looking for a new favorite ski blog? Here’s a comprehensive list.
- 2016 International Snow Science Workshop Highlights and Recap – Backcounntry.com – Here’s what you missed at this year’s ISSW.
- Man Killed Installing Avalanche Control Equipment at Alta Ski Resort, UT Yesterday – SnowBrains – Kasey Christiansen died in an excavator accident while installing avalanche control equipment in Utah.
Did we miss any backcountry news? Tell us in the comments below. Have an awesome week!