Book Review: Days to Remember: Adventures and Reflections of a Mountain Guide by Rob Collister
Days To Remember by Rob Collister is a collection of narrative tales and insightful essays that highlight Collister’s mountain guiding lifestyle and adventures in far flung locales around the world. Days To Remember is a well-written, quick read that every mountain enthusiast will enjoy.
Collister has done an excellent job telling his story in intricate detail. It’s obvious that he is knowledgeable and passionate about the issues, the history, the locations, and the mountains. He’s been there and he’s done it and now he wants to ensure that the mountains will be enjoyed for generations to come.
Days To Remember by Rob Collister is divided into three sections:
- Home Ground: Wales – This section provides a fascinating look at Collister’s stomping grounds in the UK. The mountains and hills of Wales are his home and he knows it like the back of his hand. It’s abundantly clear that he loves his home turf. His vivid descriptions showcase the true beauty of this area. Not only will this section make you want to explore the UK, but it will also encourage you to treasure your own backyard.
“The life of a mountain guide can seem an endless cycle of leave takings and homecomings – an incomprehensible lifestyle to others. Yet the rewards are many, not least the opportunity presented by coming home.”
- Further Afield – In this section, Collister takes you on hiking, climbing, and skiing adventures in Austria, Switzerland, Peru, India, Lebanon, Zanskar, Nepal and beyond. This section appeals to the wanderlust in every reader. Collister was incredibly lucky to venture to these places to work and play. His adventures to far flung corners of the globe are inspiring and his tales will make you want to jet set around the world in search of adventure.
Mountains “have been sources of inspiration, symbols of aspiration and metaphors for personal quest.”
- Issues – This section provides unique insight into issues that truly affect the global mountain community. Collister shares his opinions and viewpoints on Fencing, Climate Change, Wind Power, Heli-skiing, Carbon Footprints, and more. These are all big issues that mountain enthusiasts need to think about because they directly impact the future of our favorite playgrounds. Every effort you make to protect and preserve the mountains makes a difference. Read carefully and learn more about the issues. Now is the time to take action.
Heli Skiing “becomes a kinesthetic blur, an orgy of physical sensation a bit like binge drinking, in which no individual pitch or run stands out and the chief satisfaction is in achieving or exceeding so many thousands of meters of descent. By contrast, for the ski tourer, who spends most of the time going uphill, every pitch downhill, every turn almost, is something to be relished and consciously savored.”
Days To Remember will open your eyes to mountain issues and environmental issues that affect all of us, but it will also encourage you to get outside and enjoy the mountains of the world. If you love mountains, you’ll enjoy this book.
Collister’s adventures have taken him to the Alps, Himalayas, Cordillera Blanca, Alaska, Wales, Antarctica, and beyond. He has literally climbed, skied, guided, and explored mountains everywhere. Beyond just playing in the mountains, Collister has also build an impressive professional guiding resume too:
- UIAGM/IFMGA Mountain Guide
- British Mountain Guide qualification in 1976
- One of the first British guides to guide the Haute Route
- President of the BMG from 1990 to 1993
- Regular author and contributor
- Trustee of the Snowdonia Society and the John Muir Trust
Today Rob is based in North Wales where he is an active mountain guide. Collister still leads trips in the UK and in the Alps, but makes every effort to always reduce his carbon footprint. Book Rob to be your guide for your next adventure. Learn more about Rob at BMG.org.uk and Travel-Quest.co.uk.
Days To Remember was published on 1 September 2016 by Vertebrate Publishing. Vertebrate Publishing sent Days to Remember: Adventures and Reflections of a Mountain Guide by Rob Collister to A Mountain Journey for review. We give it a thumbs up. Read and enjoy.