What Are You #UP2
Jawbone UP2 Fitness Tracker
Weight: 25 grams
Summary: If you’re looking for an affordable way to track your personal fitness the UP2 band is a great option that will also encourage you to lead a healthier lifestyle. Set your personal goals and UP2 will help you achieve them.
I recently got my hands on the Jawbone UP2 Fitness Tracker. After testing this tracker day in and day out, I’m pretty impressed. The Jawbone UP2 is designed to track activities, sleep patterns, food intake, and more. Ideally it will help users identify habits and will encourage you to be more active and ultimately healthier. Everyone wants that, right?
Now I’ll be honest, I’ve always been a bit dubious about fitness trackers because I have no idea how they accurately track data. So I when I got my hands on the Jawbone UP2 I was pretty excited to test it out.
According to the Jawbone website, the UP2 is a “miniature technological wonder with an accelerometer, proprietary algorithms, Bluetooth and power management.” Nowhere does it really explain how the band tracks info, but this sleek and stylish band seems to work and consistently supplies useful information that helps me focus on my personal fitness. The UP2 is made form “medical-grade, hypoallergenic rubber. It is smooth, flexible and completely latex-free.” I honestly forget it’s even on – except for when I’m wearing gloves while skiing or when I put on my watch.
Straight out of the box, the setup is simple – charge the band, download the app, and input your personal data. Then put the band on your non-dominant wrist and it tracks you. The UP2 is one size fits most. I’d be amazed if it didn’t fit the vast majority of people. It comes in a flat band and a thin band. The photos in this review are of the thin band that closes with an adjustable hook clasp. I found it to feel secure at all times, even while being active. In fact, it can even be a bit challenging to get off.
The UP2 is not waterproof, but it is snow, rain, splash, and sweat resistant. You need to recharge the band about once every 10 days. I’ve been recharging after about 8 though – maybe I’m syncing it with my iPhone too often? The UP2 uses a Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Polymer, 38 mAh Battery that utilizes a bendable USB power attachment. It takes about an hour to fully charge.
Let’s take a look at some of the Jawbone UP2’s function:
- Sleep Tracking – This is my favorite feature of the Jawbone UP2 – although I have no idea how the UP2 tracks my sleep. Every morning I find it fascinating to sync my UP2 with the UP app to see my nightly stats. It’s interesting to see how much I was awake and to compare my light and sound sleep. I definitely feel more ready for the day when I log more hours of sound sleep.
- Activity Tracking – A healthy life is all about moving and the UP2 actively tracks my steps and mileage each day. My goal is 10000 steps per day and I achieved it every day that I wore the band all day. It’s also possible to log 19 different workouts such as skiing, elliptical, run, bike, or swimming. I wore the UP2 quite a bit while skiing and I am interested to know how sliding on snow translates to “steps.” The UP2 tracked many more steps while skiing than my iPhone’s Health app. It is possible to link the two. Also while ski touring, sometimes the UP2 would track very minimal steps even on a 5 hour ski tour…
- Food Tracking – I didn’t use the food tracking function as much as I should have – mostly because it’s not completely obvious how to input your food intake. When information is added, it will calculate your food score to evaluate your nutritional intake and will ensure that you’re eating right.
- Teammates & Duels – It’s possible to link your UP2 with Facebook and Twitter to compete and duel with your friends and family. It’s a healthy type of competition.
- Smart Alarm – I’m a fan of the alarm clock function. Set your alarm via the app and the band will gently vibrate to wake you up. It’s quiet and no one can hear it, but I can feel it. Plus, it woke me up every time.
- Idle Alarm – It’s simple to set an idle alarm where the band vibrates after you haven’t moved for a set period of time. It’s a nice reminder to get up and move after a lazy day.
- Smart Coach – Based on what you do and how you move, the UP2 provides personalized advice from your smart coach. It’s kind of like having your very own personal trainer to give you tips, tricks, advice, and encouragement. I found some of the facts really useful and others were a bit less interesting to me. You can give each piece of advice a thumbs up or a thumbs down so that the UP2 can get to know you and will provide better info in the future.
The UP2 syncs all data to your device wireless via the free UP app by Bluetooth. The UP app is available on Android and iOS devices. It seems like most devices are compatible with the Jawbone UP2, but you should double check here. The UP app is easy to use and supplies the user with the information they want with just a glance. It’s pretty straight forward. Check out additional UP app screenshots in the gallery at the end of the post.
Here are examples of the information and data that the UP2 tracks:
- Activity: Steps, Distance, Intensity, Workouts, Types of Activity, Idle Time, Active Time, Calories Burned (Active and Resting)
- Sleep: Total Sleep, Sleep Quality
- Food: Meals, Drinks, Food Score, Calories, Weight, Nutrients, Water
- Trends: Streaks, Goals, Milestones, Averages, Trends
I wish that the UP2 would track vertical feet and vertical speed as that information is helpful in the mountains. Oh well.
Overall I like the Jawbone UP2 and will continue to wear it. I think it’s fascinating how this little piece of technology can track so much information and all I have to do is wear it! I’d highly recommend that everyone get a fitness tracker like the UP2. It encourages me to stay active and helps me become a better me. I think the only negative that I can find is that I do not believe it accurately tracks data while skiing or while ski touring.
Here are a few quick facts about the Jawbone UP2:
- Box comes with USB Charging Cable, Quick Start Guide, and UP2 Band
- One Year Limited Warranty
- Size: 220mm x 11.5mm x 3.0-8.5mm
- Fit: One size fits most, wrist sizes ranging 140mm–190mm
- Weight: 25g
- Three single color LEDs: Blue for sleep, orange for activity, and white for notifications
- Available in flat strap or thin strap
- Available in many different colors
- Android and iOS compatible
- Can be connected to over 50 apps and devices
- Retail Price: $99.99
If you’ve read this review and you don’t feel like the UP2 is the fitness tracker for you, check out the other Jawbone fitness trackers and see how they compare here.
I was given the Jawbone UP2 to test and review by Experticity.com.
#expertgear #experticity #jawbone #up2