Do you know what happened in the mountains this week? Here’s a selection of news, articles, posts, videos, photos, and other cool things from the mountains that we think you’d like to know about. Enjoy!
- Doug Tompkins, Founder of TNF, Dies In Kayak Accident In Patagonia – MountainJourney.com – Conservationist Doug Tompkins died of hypothermia near the Chile-Argentina border after a tragic paddling accident. RIP.
- Salomon And Atomic Introduce Mountain Academy For Learning Introductory Backcountry Skills – BackcountryMagazine.com – If you want to learn more about mountain safety, check out Mountain Academy – a project from Salomon and Atomic.
- Candid Thovex Skis Amazing Line Without Any Snow In This Audi Commercial – MountainJourney.com – Did you see this yet? You should. This may be the ski line of the year.
- Bombardier’s New Concept To Eliminate Hiking For Backcountry Skiers – TheGlobeAndMail.com – Share your thoughts on the Bombardier Binatrax – a mix between surfboard and snowmobile that eliminates the uphill part of backcountry skiing.
- Search For Missing Snowmobiler In Revelstoke Suspended – MountainJourney.com – Revelstoke RCMP called off their search for Travis Brown after he has been missing in the Boulder Mountain and Frisby Ridge area near Revelstoke, BC for multiple days.
- Arcteryx Just Announced Its First Ski Boot and Avalanche Airbag – OutsideOnline.com – Arcteryx is entering the hard gear market with a tech boot and fan based avalanche airbag pack.
- Gear Hack: How To Cook Your Liners In An Oven – Powder.com – If you want to heat mold your liners, here’s how to get the job done right.
- Jumbo Wild Hits iTunes – iTunes.com – If you haven’t watched Jumbo Wild yet, order it right now. This film is amazing.
- Skier Survives Full Burial In Stevens Pass Backcountry – MountainJourney.com – Two skiers had a close call outside of the Stevens Pass ski area boundary. The snowpack is touchy right now. Please be careful
Have an awesome week!