Do you know what happened in the mountains this week? Here’s a selection of backcountry news, articles, posts, videos, photos, and other cool things that we think you’d like to know about. Enjoy!
- New Heli Ski Operation To Open In Idaho In 2017 – A Mountain Journey – Selkirk Powder Company is the newest heli skiing operation in the US and will run trips in Idaho’s Selkirk Range this winter for 17 days.
- Italian Alpinist Killed In Avalanche In Brenta Dolomites In Italy – A Mountain Journey – An avalanche in the Dolomites claimed the life of a man from Trentino on Saturday.
- Rescue At Cherry Bowl – Avalanche.ca – Everyone needs to read about this real life avalanche situation in the Yukon. It’s extremely well done.
- 2016 Banff Mountain Book Competition Award Winners – A Mountain Journey – Looking for a good book to read? Try one of these award winners.
- SNOTEL Data: The Current Western US Snowpack – November 8, 2016 – A Mountain Journey – The state of the snowpack in the Western US isn’t quite where it should be at this point in November.
- 2016 Banff Mountain Film Festival Award Winners – A Mountain Journey – Here are all of the award winners at the 2016 Banff Film Festival (trailers included).
- Colorado’s Outdoor Recreation Industry Tries Innovation, Education To Spur Job Creation – CPR.org – Colorado’s outdoor rec industry supports 125,000 workers and earns $4.2 billion annually. Impressive.
- Campaign Donations Link Ski Industry Leaders to Climate Change Deniers – Powder – It’s time that we all admit that climate change is a big deal that needs to be addressed.
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Knots – Climbing.com – Knots are pretty important. They can save your life. You owe it to yourself to learn more about knots.
- 2017 FJT & FWQ Calendar Unveiled – FreerideJuniorTour.com – If you like watching the freeski scene, check out the latest calendar of events for 2017.
- GoPro Recalls Karma Drone On Election Night – TetonGravity.com – The Karma Drone from GoPro is getting recalled.
- How To Waterproof Kinco Gloves – A Mountain Journey – Here’s our classic tutorial on how to waterproof leather gloves.
- Whistler Blackcomb Changes Backcountry Avalanche Forecasts: Enter ‘Avalanche Canada’ – SnowBrains – WB will change up the way they do avalanche forecasts this winter.
- Is Skiing Uphill Actually Worth It? – Skiing Magazine – Why do we backcountry ski?
- Remote Avalanche Control Systems Coming Online Between Revelstoke and Sicamous – EagleValleyNews.com – Hopefully this will keep Highway 1 safe and open.
Did we miss any backcountry news? Tell us in the comments below. Have an awesome week!