What Are Your Favorite John Muir Quotes?John Muir (April 21, 1838 – December 23, 1914) was a Scottish-American environmentalist who advocated for preservation of wilderness areas in the United States. His research, knowledge, and writings made a major impact on the mountain west. His quotes, sayings, and wise wisdom still ring true to mountain enthusiasts today. Do you know any John Muir quotes off the top of your head?
Below you’ll find a selection of the inspirational John Muir Quotes:
- I am hopelessly and forever a mountaineer.
- In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
- The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- The power of imagination makes us infinite.
- The mountains are calling and I must go.
- How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!
- Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
- The snow is melting into music.
- Most people are on the world, not in it.
- Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
- Writing is like the life of a glacier; one eternal grind.
- I’d rather be in the mountains thinking of God than in church thinking about the mountains.
- In God’s wilderness lies the hope of the world…
- We were glad, however, to get within reach of information…
- One day’s exposure to mountains is better than a cartload of books.
- One should go to the woods for safety, if for nothing else.
- Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.
- Who wouldn’t be a mountaineer! Up here all the world’s prizes seem nothing.
- The sun shines not on us but in us.
- When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.
- The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.
- And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- Going to the mountains is going home.
- I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.
- I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!
Which of these John Muir quotes is your favorite? Did we miss any quotes that we should add to the list? Tell us in the comments below.
To read more John Muir Quotes, pick up a one of many John Muir books on Amazon. His writings on wilderness, adventure, and nature will inspire you. Discover even more John Muir Quotes at WikiQuote.org and GoodReads.com. Learn more about John Muir on Wikipedia.com.