Avalanche On Mount Rutor In Italy’s Aosta Valley Kills Two Ski Mountaineers | 3rd Avalanche Fatality In Aosta Valley This Week
Valgrisenche, Italy – At approximately noon on Wednesday, April 20, 2016 two ski mountaineers were killed in an avalanche on Mount Rutor near the Rifugio degli Angeli al Morion in the Graian Alps in the Aosta Valley near Valgrisenche in northwestern Italy.
The avalanche struck the group of four as they ascended just below the summit of the Rutor at approximately 3400 meters. It was triggered under the feet of the first ski mountaineer – catching the first two people. A third partner and a mountain guide escaped unharmed. The victims were dragged approximately 500 meters and fell over a rocky ridge.
Multiple groups were in the area and the bodies were found and dug up quickly. Both victims were wearing avalanche beacons. Unfortunately both victims were died on the scene.
Aosta Valley Mountain Rescue helicopter, search dogs, medical personnel, and the Guardia di Finanza Mountain Rescue responded to the scene of the avalanche. The victims were two Italians. They have been identified by LaStampa.it as Franco Giuliano, 67, of Mezzenile and Peitro Gilodi, 60, of Valduggia. An investigation will be conducted.
The avalanche danger at the time of the incident was rated 3 out of 5. This is the same valley where an avalanche fatality occurred two days ago.
We will try to update this post when more information becomes available.
It has been a tragic week in the mountains of Europe that has resulted in seven avalanche fatalities:
- April 17 – Two climbers killed in Pic du Midi Bigorre in French Pyrenees
- April 17 – One Killed, two injured in avalanche in Galmilike in Valais, Switzerland
- April 18 – A female ski mountaineer was killed while climbing Punta Bassac in the Valley Aosta
- April 19 – A ski mountaineer was injured in an avalanche on Petit Mont Blanc at 3800 meters
- April 19 – FWT World Champion Snowboarder Estelle Balet died in an avalanche in Valais, Switzerland.
Pin marks location of Rifugio degli Angeli al Morion.