Do you know what happened in the mountains this week? Here’s a selection of backcountry news, articles, posts, videos, photos, and other cool things that we think you’d like to know about. Enjoy!
- Aaron Rice Skins And Skis 2 Million Human-Powered Vertical Feet By October | Sets New Record – A Mountain Journey – Aaron Rice is a man on a mission. He just set the world record of 2 million vertical feet in a year and is on track to his 2.5 million foot goal in 2016.
- Mountains 101: University of Alberta Offers FREE Mountain Studies Course – A Mountain Journey – Want to learn more about mountains? Sign up for this free online university level course from UofA.
- Avalanche Destroys Power Lines, Blocks Access, and Cuts Off Electricity To Arctic Village In NE Russia – A Mountain Journey – An avalanche in Russia’s Chukotka District cut off access and electricity to a small village.
- Two Dead, Two Missing After Avalanche In South Tyrol, Italy – A Mountain Journey – A tragic avalanche accident killed four ice climbers on the Hochferner near the Austria/Italy border.
- Giveaway! Featuring Gear From Panda Poles, Point6 Socks, and an EVO Gift Card – A Mountain Journey – Want to win bamboo ski poles, merino wool socks, and an EVO gift card? Sign up to win this giveaway right now. Numerous ways to enter and win!
- Skiing Halloween Costumes – SkiNet.com – Need some least minute inspiration for Halloween?
- The Evolution of Avalanche Education: Pro/Rec Split – SawtoothGuides.com – Snow science certification pathways are changing in 2017/2018. Here’s what’s happening.
- Rising Sun, Receding Snow: How Climate Change Is Impacting Japan’s Epic Winters – BackcountryMagazine.com – Climate change sucks. Here’s a look at what’s it doing in Japow.
- A New Mega Resort Is Coming to BC – Powder.com – Who wants to road trip to Valemont when this places opens?
- Colorado Skier Ordered To Pay Over $250K For Reckless Skiing Incident At Keystone CO – SnowBrains.com – Wow. Don’t be reckless when you’re skiing. It’s not worth it.
Did we miss any backcountry news? Tell us in the comments below. Have an awesome week!