What Are Your Favorite Yvon Chouinard Quotes?
Yvon Chouinard (November 9, 1938 – ) is an an alpinist, environmentalist, equipment manufacturer, author, and businessman. Chouinard is also the founder and co-owner of the outdoor company Patagonia.
Chouinard’s adventures have taken him all over the world to climb, fly fish, kayak, travel, and experience life. He is a true mountain enthusiast who has seen success in business, outdoor achievements, and conservation. His wise wisdom will appeal to the entrepreneur, the adventurer, and the environmentalist in all of us.
Do you know any Yvon Chouinard quotes off the top of your head? Read the following Yvon Chouinard quotes careful. Share your favorites. His words will definitely impact the way you live your life.
Below you’ll find a selection of inspirational Yvon Chouinard Quotes:
- Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person.
- It’s not an adventure until something goes wrong.
- Fear of the unknown is the greatest fear of all.
- Traveling is my form of self-education.
- You have a whole life in the outdoors, you realize you have a sense of responsibility to protect these wild places.
- Remember: if you take bivouac equipment along, you will bivouac…
- To do good, you actually have to do something.
- You know where I wanna be right now? Right here. Nowhere else. Not in the future, not in the past. This is what I worked for all my life (…) Just live for the moment.”
- I’m kind of like a samurai. They say if you want to be a samurai, you can’t be afraid of dying, and as soon as you flinch, you get your head cut off. I’m not afraid of losing this business.
- It was also clear that in order to survive at this game, we had to get serious.
- You learn that how you got there was what’s important. Not what you accomplished.
- So, it’s kind of like the quest for the holy grail. Well, you know, who gives a shit what the holy grail is. It’s the quest is what’s important.
- We’re a part of nature. As we destroy nature, we destroy ourselves. It’s a selfish thing to want to protect nature.
- Mastery… is to work toward simplicity; replace complex technology with knowledge, hard work, and skill.
- The rules of the game must be constantly updated to keep up with the expanding technology. Otherwise we overkill the classic climbs and delude ourselves into thinking we are better climbers than the pioneers.
- How you climb a mountain is more important than reaching the top.
- You ask me about the past, you ask me about the future, the only way to be happy is to be living right now.
- My friends who live in mountain towns end up not climbing anymore. It gets too familiar. Whereas if you visit the mountains, then you’re all excited.
- The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.
- You have to remember this was the ’60s, when climbing was dangerous and sex was safe.
- The revolution starts at the bottom.
- Most of the damage we cause to the planet is the result of our own ignorance.”
- Going back to a simpler life based on living by sufficiency rather than excess is not a step backward.
- Profit is what happens when you do everything else right.
- The more I make the more I can give away.
- The more you know, the less you need.
- I purposely try to hire people who are really self-motivated and good at what they do, and then I just leave them alone.
- Surfing and climbing are both useless sports. You get to be conquistadors of the useless. You climb to the summit and there is nothing there. And you could hike to the top from another direction. How you get there is the important part. It’s the same with surfing.
- I think risk is important. I don’t care if it’s a great financial risk or a physical risk. You only get out of something what you put into it and the fact that you are willing to risk something means that you are going to get a lot more out of it.
- The hardest thing in the world is to simplify your life; it’s so easy to make it complex.
- Once you educate yourself, you’re left with choices.
- There’s no difference between a pessimist who says, “Oh it’s hopeless, so don’t bother doing anything.” and an optimist who says, “Don’t bother doing anything, it’s going to turn out fine anyways. Either way, nothing happens.
- Everything we personally own that’s made, sold, shipped, stored, cleaned, and ultimately thrown away does some environmental harm every step of the way, harm that we’re either directly responsible for or is done on our behalf.
- A real capitalist knows that $10 given today does a lot more good than $100 given 10 years from now.
Which of these Yvon Chouinard quotes is your favorite? Did we miss any quotes that we should add to the list? Tell us in the comments below.
- 40 Mountain Quotes For Outdoor Enthusiasts
- Warren Miller Quotes
- John Muir Quotes
- Reinhold Messner Quotes