What Are Your Favorite Anatoli Boukreev Quotes?
Anatoli Nikolaevich Boukreev (16 January 1958 – 25 December 1997) was a Russian-Kazakhstani mountaineer known for bold ascents in big mountains. Boukreev’s climbing resume included climbing 10 of 14 8000 meter peaks without oxygen and 18 successful summits of 8000 meter peaks. Wikipedia.org has a list of his impressive climbs.
Boukreev was on Everest during the 1996 Everest Disaster and saved many people’s lives during that tragic event. Unfortunately, Boukreev was killed in an avalanche with Simone Moro while climbing a new alpine style route on Annapurna in 1997 (MountainZone.com).
Below you’ll find a selection of the best Anatoli Boukreev quotes:
- Climbing is what I do.
- Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion.
- Mountains have the power to call us into their realms and there, left forever, are our friends whose great souls were longing for the heights. Do not forget the mountaineers who have not returned from the summits.
- Big mountains are a completely different world: snow, ice, rocks, sky, and thin air. You cannot conquer them, only rise to their height for a short time; and for that they demand a great deal. The struggle is not with the enemy, or a competitor like in sports, but with yourself, with the feelings of weakness and inadequacy. That struggle appeals to me. It is why I became a mountaineer.
- I offer my expertise and experience for hire in order to help a group of people reach the summit.
- The longer I live, the more certain I am that there are no accidents in life. There are no chance meetings; everything happens according to a plan, regularly and in order.
- Mountains are cathedrals: grand and pure, the houses of my religion. I go to them as humans go to worship…From their lofty summits, I view my past, dream of the future, and with unusual acuity I am allowed to experience the present moment. My strength renewed, my vision cleared, in the mountains I celebrate creation. On each journey I am reborn.
- Honestly, I do not experience fear in the mountains. On the contrary I feel my shoulders straightening, squaring, like the birds as they straighten their wings. I enjoy the freedom and the altitude. It is only when I return to life below that I feel the world’s weight on my shoulders.
- I don’t know what being an Everest guide means. I am a coach, not a guide.
- How could the adventure seeker of today find satisfaction with the level of performance that was a standard set more than 40 years ago?
- There are many questions, but I cannot answer because I’m not a businessman, I am a climber.
- I cannot say to be glad or not glad to be on Everest. It is my life. I have opportunity to be here, so I am here.
Which of these Anatoli Boukreev quotes is your favorite? Did we miss any quotes that we should add to the list? Tell us in the comments below.
- 40 Mountain Quotes For Outdoor Enthusiasts
- Warren Miller Quotes
- John Muir Quotes
- Reinhold Messner Quotes
- Yvon Chouinard Quotes
- George Mallory Quotes
- Edmund Hillary Quotes
- Ernest Shackleton Quotes
- Edward Abbey Quotes
- Henry David Thoreau Quotes
- Ansel Adams Quotes