What Are Your Favorite Royal Robbins Quotes?
Royal Robbins (February 3, 1935 – March 14, 2017) was a climbing legend during the Golden Age of Yosemite. Robbins pioneered big wall climbing and helped to shape climbing culture. Robbins authored numerous climbing books and developed certain free- and aid- climbing techniques.
After an amazing climbing career, Robbins pursued his passion for kayaking and founded an outdoor clothing and gear company with his wife Liz, called Royal Robbins.
Below you’ll find a selection of the best Royal Robbins quotes:
- A simple equation exists between freedom and numbers: the more people, the less freedom.
- The rock is a field of battle between our weakness and our strength.
- A first ascent is a creation in the same sense as is a painting or a song.
- Before the deed comes the thought. Before the achievement comes the dream. Every mountain we climb, we first climb in our mind.
- Better we raise our skill than lower the climb.
- When it’s been a long day of climbing, and I feel like I can’t go any farther, I concentrate on the next three feet. And then the next three feet; and then the next three feet. Pretty soon, I’m at the top.
- With the best equipment in the world the man with poor judgment is in mortal danger.
- Instead of the god of security, we bow to the greater god of freedom, the freedom to take risks and master danger in order to be intensely alive.
- Climbing is a great game-great not in spite of the demands it makes, but because of them. Great because it will not let us give half of ourselves-it demands all of us. It demands our best.
- Our ascent, of course, does not end the possibility for new accomplishments on El Capitan. The day will probably come when this climb will be done in five days, perhaps less; and a younger generation will make a new route on the west face.
- My ambition was to become the best climber and I never did. I think that goal was a wrong goal. A better one is to put more emphasis on enjoyment and on getting a rounded experience and on things like friendship, rather than on sheer achievement.
- The beautiful thing to me about climbing is that you can’t justify it. It doesn’t pretend to be anything useful.
Which of these Royal Robbins quotes is your favorite? Did we miss any quotes that we should add to the list? Tell us in the comments below.
- 40 Mountain Quotes For Outdoor Enthusiasts
- Warren Miller Quotes
- John Muir Quotes
- Reinhold Messner Quotes
- Yvon Chouinard Quotes
- George Mallory Quotes
- Edmund Hillary Quotes
- Ernest Shackleton Quotes
- Edward Abbey Quotes
- Henry David Thoreau Quotes
- Ansel Adams Quotes
- Anatoli Bookreev Quotes